Monday, November 15, 2010

Half Marathon Race Report


WOW! What an EXPERIENCE!!! This was my first BIG and FUN race! Cheerleaders every few miles, live music at every mile or so, TONS of people cheering us on, tons of handmade signs, cool compressions socks (I want some!), adorable skirts (argyle...SO CUTE!), a man standing in front of me (former Boston 112th place dude--saw it on his jacket) standing and just peeing before we started---yeah GROSE, LOTS OF PEOPLE CHEERING US ON (oh yeah I said that already....LOL...LOVED THIS!), awesome course, awesome vibe....JUST LOVED THE ATMOSPHERE!!!

Pushed myself and beat my previous time! I still CAN'T IMAGINE doing a full marathon since I felt wiped out crossing the finish line on this one! But hey I think I keep on proving to myself "If you want it, you'll get there!" - - - If you believe, you achieve - - - love this quote!

So some interesting things happened to me on those 13.1 miles of pavement pounding! Here's a sort of "recap" . . .

Mile 1: Shot right out of the gate, full of excitement trying not to trip over the clothing that was shed by the runners half way through the first mile.

Mile 2: Noticed a little ache on the left knee and shin (never had pain on this side!) so I slowed it down a bit and tried to settle in my groove. Thought it was so cool to see local bands jammin out! Signs already everywhere, people cheering!

Miles 3: Okay, I told myself, you just did a 5k....you've got this, you feel good...keep on pushin and don't forget your gel at the 4 mile drink station SINCE YOU RAN WITHOUT WATER FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!!

Mile 4: Took gel as I saw the water station ahead, perfect timing! Knew I did what I needed to do and started to think about a deep conversation I had with my Kimmers on the 2 hour drive down the day before....off in another world and then I noticed.....

Mile 6!! Don't remember seeing the sign for mile 5. But all I knew is I HAD TO PEE BADDDDDD!!! And oops, a little bit trickled out, oh well, whatcha gonna do? I told myself I was almost halfway there...NO WAY I was going to stop!!! I took the advice from a magazine telling me to walk through the water stations, so that was ALL the walking I would allow myself on this race!

Mile 7: Took my Razz Cliff Shot before the water station...that was tough and realized I had a SUPER TIGHT jaw. I spit the gum out and started freaking a little wondering why it felt like my jaw was locked up!!! Strange. Drank the Citomax sports drink at every stop along with the water..felt totally fine other than the jaw thing.

Mile 8-10: Can't remember much except that I would feel the trickling again and since it was just a little bit, I chose to ignore it. At mile 10 I took another Powerade 2x Tangerine (I hate these things and MUST find a substitute!) and looked up to see I was right behind the 2:00 Pacer ----OMG I thought, can I do this in 2 HOURS???!!!!!! But sadly I realized there was just no way I could maintain that pace at this stage of my running without hurting myself and I am too focused on doing kick ass at The Austin FULL Marathon in February!!!!! :o)

Mile 11: I thought, hey only 20 minutes left...let's do it! Changed my music to some Red Hot Chili Peppers and just started to push through.

Mile 12: Okay hill....no big deal you are NOTHING compared to what I ran three weeks ago LOL! Oh the crowd, it was amazing!!!! I got a kick out of the signs and saw one that said Mind over Body....you got this....don't stop!!! This one was followed by "Running takes balls, other athletes just play with them! LOVED THIS AND LAUGHED OUT LOUD!!

Climbing the hill right at the end was tough, I struggled with my mind (don't know WHY it's so hard for me right when I'm SO CLOSE to finishing!!) but remembered the ladies who did this last year telling me that right at the top is the finish! So, I ignored the stupid sign saying "Only .68 left" ugh...that killed me! LOL

Boom Boom Pow came on, I put my head down, eyes forward and just felt SO STRONG in my legs screaming to myself....OMG I CAN SEE THE FINISH AND IT JUST TURNED TO 2:15 MY GOAL MY GOAL!! I knew I only had 60 seconds left so I pushed and made it!!!!!! 2:15:10

THRILLED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Head was spinning, eyes were a little blurry, I was freezing, thighs were chaffed for the first time thanks to PISSING MYSELF, a girl put the medal over my head and I realized just how BIG I was smiling....my cheeks hurt!!! :o) I went over to get my photo taken but it was all so foggy at that moment, all I could think of is I needed FOOD! HA!

Knees felt like they were going to buckle, I called Chris right away and wanted to cry when I heard his voice, I was just so happy to achieve this, to actually have a PR! I moved along, grabbed my Citomax, bagel, banana, Riceworks, Snickers marathon bar, and Mango bites and saw my friend Natalie. We went over to have a seat until Kimmers finished, peed IN a porta potty and that's it! I walked around like I had rode a horse the rest of the afternoon. Got home about 3, took a hot bath and was SPENT!

Why do I do this?? THIS IS WHY!! Finishing a race and feeling GREAT about my accomplishment is what keeps me wanting more. Sure I set high goals, but I do everything I can to meet them, secretly always hoping to beat them, do better than I expected! Scrappy, a little "Spitfire", that's what my friend Sabrina refers to me as and yep, I'll agree....that's me!

I'm finally realizing what it is about this running thing after opening up to Kim talking about my childhood, my past experiences, my need for some healing. Something that nobody can do for me, but proving to myself over and over again just how strong I am is GREAT for me! I am proving myself wrong....I'm not a "non finisher" .... I can be disciplined . . . I am good, and I mean good for other people, not just me ... I have courage ... and my heart and guts have never steered me wrong...what I believe and put my heart into, oh yeah I can achieve baby!!!

Here's to my running journey!! May I get stronger and faster!!

Yes Austin Marathon, I'm scared, but that fear is ALWAYS what drives me to conquer!!

I'M READY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment